Grief is a natural part of life when someone we love dies. Finding your way after a death may be difficult. You don’t have to do it alone. Hospice of Kankakee Valley (HKV) has helped many of people through their grief journey.
Here are some of the ways HKV can help:
- The Bereavement Program
HKV’s bereavement counselor is highly skilled and specially trained to assist those who have suffered a loss as they journey through the grief process. The bereavement programs are open to families of hospice patients as well as other grieving members of the community. A member of our bereavement team is available to speak with you about your loss. The bereavement team is also available to speak to business and community groups about grief and coping with loss, including workplace grief and issues involving child grief
- Bereavement Support Groups
These groups are open to anyone in the community who has experienced the death of a loved one within the last year. We offer separate groups for adults, children, and teenagers. We also offer a series of different specialized groups throughout the year. Check our calendar page for dates and times, or call (815) 939-4141 and ask to speak with a bereavement counselor. Below are the ongoing adult support group we have all year long. Thong Forth Back And Lace Bodysuit black 7qStaP
- 1st Tuesday of every month at HKV at 10:00am located in the counseling room
- 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month at HKV at 6:00pm located in the counseling room.
- Children’s bereavement counseling
Our bereavement counselor specializes in working with children through this difficult and sometimes confusing time. Whether or not the child has had an experience with a loved one on hospice, we are here to help the entire community, regardless of their circumstance. Our counselor can provide individual counseling in the school setting, home, or in our main office. Please call for more information.
2018 Bereavement Events
- April 10th – Candlelight Memorial – Bethel Baptist – 7pm
- June 3rd – Tree of Life & Memory Garden Recognition
- September 29th – Good Grief: Family Grief Camp
- November 13th- Sharing Stories of the Season
Please call our office at 815-939-4141 for more details concerning these events and all support groups.
Upcoming Grief Support Groups:
All will be held at the HKV office unless otherwise noted.
- Anger and Forgiveness:It’s relatively easy to admit that we feel sadness when a loved one died, but often other painful emotions are present, too. Although we don’t talk about it openly, anger is often a part of bereavement. We may be angry at extended family members who didn’t pull their weight in caregiving. We may be angry at the deceased for dying without having their will in order. We may be angry at ourselves for not meeting our own expectations in coping with the death. In this half-day workshop, we will consider the many ways this painful emotion surfaces in the wake of losing a loved one. We will also explore forgiveness – including defining what it is and is not and the steps one goes through to forgive – as a possible means of healing from anger.
- Finding Your New Normal:green Off Stripe Shoulder Bodysuit One Thong pfSvAq Grieving the loss of a loved one brings many challenges and changes. Adapting to so many changes may seem overwhelming. This six-week support group is designed for those experiencing a recent loss to bring together and encourage them in their process of establishing a “new normal”.
- Healing the Heart through Art: The heart is the voice of wisdom. Drawing is the channel through which the voice can speak. Drawing releases the blocked energy a painful emotion creates in the body. The process involves asking your heart, not your mind, for a less stressful and positive way to respond to a painful experience. This seven step/seven week healing program will help you express and transform your own feelings of emotional pain and loss.
- Creating Through Loss: When suffering a loss, many find it difficult to express their thoughts and emotions in an effective way. In “Creating through Loss,” we will use art, music, poetry and other art mediums to process and express grief. This six-week support group is designed to give you the opportunity to create your own art and learn to use art mediums to express thoughts, ideas and emotions even after the group has ended.
- February 17: Anger and Forgiveness – 3 hour workshop – 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- March 12 – April 16: Finding Your New Normal – 6 Week Support Group – Monday evenings: 6:00-7:00p.m.
- April 17 – May 29: Healing the Heart Through Art – 7 Week Support Group – Tuesday Evenings: 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- May 17 – July 5: Creating Though Loss – 6 Week Support Group – Thursday Evenings: 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- June 3: Tree of Life/Memorial Garden Event
- June 19-July 24: Spiritual Aspects of Grief – 6 Week Support Group - Tuesday Evenings - 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- August 13 – September 24: Finding Your New Normal - 6 Week Support Group – Monday evenings: 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- September 29: Good Grief: Family Grief Camp – Camp Shaw Wa Na See in Manteno
- October 2 – November 6: Healing the Heart Through Art – 7 Week Support Group – Tuesday Evenings: 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- October 11 – November 15: Creating Though Loss – 6 Week Support Group – Thursday Evenings: 6:00- 7:30 p.m.
- November 13: Classic rednavy Dress Striped Style Knit RrqRPBwSharing Stories of the Season